As we celebrate our 100th year in business in 2015, we embark on another century of commitment to our policyholders. Our mission is to protect the livelihoods of our policyholders, and, as the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. In keeping with that theme, we’ll celebrate our 100th year in business with 100 important tips to help identify, evaluate and prevent dangers that could result in financial loss or injury in a year-long “Safe with Society” blog series.
Personal protective equipment (PPE) is your last defense against injury. Exposure to elevated noise, potentially harmful gases and liquids, and objects ejected from work processes can be an everyday occurrence. Protecting your health and safety depends on your attitude and ensuring that you maintain your PPE properly. Follow these smart tips…
Eye and Face Protection:
- Wear safety glasses or face shields whenever work operations could cause foreign objects to enter the eye.
- Safety glasses should be worn under face shields.
- Wear work shoes/boots that have slip-resistant and puncture-resistant soles.
- Wear safety-toed footwear to prevent crushed toes when working with heavy objects.
- Gloves should fit tightly.
- Wear the right glove for the job.
- Wear hard hats when there is a potential for objects falling from above.
- Routinely inspect hard hats for dents, cracks, or deterioration, and replace them after a heavy blow or electrical shock.
- Use earplugs or earmuffs in high-noise areas.
Click here for a helpful handout on personal protective equipment to share with your employees.
Our risk control team is available to help facilitate your safety and health efforts. Learn more about this collaborative and consultative partnership, as well as the exclusive safety resources developed to keep your workplace safe and profitable.