As we celebrate our 100th year in business in 2015, we embark on another century of commitment to our policyholders. Our mission is to protect the livelihoods of our policyholders, and, as the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. In keeping with that theme, we’ll celebrate our 100th year in business with 100 important tips to help identify, evaluate and prevent dangers that could result in financial loss or injury in a year-long “Safe with Society” blog series.
Fire safety is intended to reduce destruction caused by fire. This includes measures taken to prevent fires as well as practices to limit the effects of a fire after it starts.
Use these 9 tips to evaluate and prepare:
1. Train all employees on fire hazards and what to do in case of an emergency.
2. Store flammable materials away from heat sources.
3. Properly store flammable liquids.
4. Select extinguishers for appropriate hazards.
Class A: Fires with ordinary combustibles such as wood and paper.
Class B: Flammable/combustible liquid fires such as oil or gasoline.
Class C: Electrical fires or fires on electrical equipment.
Class D: Combustible metal fires such as sodium, magnesium, titanium, zirconium, lithium or potassium.
Class K: Cooking combustibles such as vegetable or animal oils and fats
5. Know where the nearest fire extinguisher is located and how to operate it using the PASS system.
Pull the pin while holding the extinguisher away from you to unlock the mechanism.
Aim low toward the base of the fire.
Squeeze the lever slowly.
Sweep the nozzle from side to side at the base of the fire.
6. Develop an emergency action plan.
7. Conduct emergency evacuation drills.
8. Have your exits clearly marked and free from obstruction.
9. Keep electrical equipment well-maintained.
Click here for a helpful handout on fire safety to share with your employees, family and friends.
Our risk control team is available to help facilitate your safety and health efforts. Learn more about this collaborative and consultative partnership, as well as the exclusive safety resources developed to keep your workplace safe and profitable.