As we celebrate our 100th year in business in 2015, we embark on another century of commitment to our policyholders. Our mission is to protect the livelihoods of our policyholders, and, as the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. In keeping with that theme, we’ll celebrate our 100th year in business with 100 important tips to help identify, evaluate and prevent dangers that could result in financial loss or injury in a year-long “Safe with Society” blog series.
Outdoor grilling is a popular way to cook food for the summer holidays, sporting events, or even family get-togethers. Even though grilling is a tasty way to prepare food, you should remember that grills can be very hot, and could cause fires or burn injuries. Grill fire statistics can be alarming so it’s important to take the proper precautions. Whether you prefer to grill with propane or charcoal, these simple tips will have you on your way to grilling safely.
Propane Grill Tips:
- Always check the propane tank hose for cracks, holes, or leaks before using the grill.
- If you suspect a leak or smell gas while operating the grill, turn the grill off immediately.
- Any grill that might have a gas leak should be serviced by a qualified professional before you use it again.
- If a leak does not stop, immediately get away from the grill and call 911.
Charcoal Grill Tips:
- If you use starter fluid, only use charcoal starter fluid. Do not use gasoline or other non-approved flammable liquids.
- Do not apply starter fluid to charcoal that has already been ignited.
- When you are finished grilling, let the coals cool completely before disposing of the ashes.
- Place all ashes or coals in a metal container for disposal.
Click here for a helpful handout on grill safety to share with your employees, family and friends.
And don’t miss these 10 general safety tips before you fire up the grill.
Our risk control team is available to help facilitate your safety and health efforts. Learn more about this collaborative and consultative partnership, as well as the exclusive safety resources developed to keep your workplace safe and profitable.