As we celebrate our 100th year in business in 2015, we embark on another century of commitment to our policyholders. Our mission is to protect the livelihoods of our policyholders, and, as the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. In keeping with that theme, we’ll celebrate our 100th year in business with 100 important tips to help identify, evaluate and prevent dangers that could result in financial loss or injury in a year-long “Safe with Society” blog series.
Crime can happen anywhere, but convenience and liquor stores are often subject to crime and violence due to their late hours and common short staffing. You can take measures to prevent crime, limit the severity, or, at a minimum, assist employees in knowing the hazards and how to address them.
- Post all emergency numbers for police, fire, ambulance, and the responsible parties in top management, in several locations.
- During evening and overnight hours, always have at least two people on duty.
- Invest in an electronic alarm and surveillance system that provides motion/entry sensing, a panic button(s), and digital video cameras. The alarm system should automatically report to an off-site agency for response. Position at least one camera so it is visible to customers at the checkout.
- Develop a procedure for handling walk-offs, drive-offs, and unruly guests, and follow it each and every time. Keep a written record of the incident and your response.
- Develop a written emergency plan for handling all incidents and review them with all staff, at least annually.
- Ask your local police to work with you on crime control and encourage all employees to continue good personal rapport with police, fire, and rescue personnel in non-emergency times. They are all there to help you.
Click here for a helpful handout on crime prevention.
Our risk control team is available to help facilitate your safety and health efforts. Learn more about this collaborative and consultative partnership, as well as the exclusive safety resources developed to keep your workplace safe and profitable.